A/P not balancing - Allocation falling off transaction
  • teaspoon
    A/P not balancing - Allocation falling off transaction

by teaspoon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi all,

Every month, I have to go through a manual process of establishing variance between GL and A/P ledger. The cause is the allocation falls off a couple invoices every month.

Can this be automatically fixed by repair?

I am relatively new in my role and the Administrator doesn't care. Looking to build relationships and work on system improvements for our business.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:46 am

The reason why you are experiencing variances is that your security is likely too loose. Users should have time based security restrictions on what they can do in the past. I.e., if they are allowed to amend supplier transactions for up to 30 days in the past and then you roll forward after the 30 day period -- then there should not be variances. More likely users are inputting transactions several months in the past, which then throws out the running balance moving forward. If you must allow that, you must also re-run the End Period Wizard for the affected months. There are also certain complex scenarios where restricting security access for certain users is not practical, as you may not have the correct information on what occurred at the time, until several months into the future.
  • teaspoon

A/P Costing - Transaction Allocation Falling Off

by teaspoon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:37 am

Hi COBS,

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that problems with transactions are happening within the previous 30 day period.

Again this month end, there were 3 invoices that had $0.00 costing allocated.

I'm not concerned so much with the problem, its the time taken to manually fix this every month. My goal for 2017 is to halve EOM timetable so looking to eliminate as many manual processes as possible.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm sorry but what you are reporting is so vague and the system so large and complex that it is impossible to comment constructively on what you've provided.
  • teaspoon

by teaspoon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 pm

Let's try a different tact.

At EOM, the G/L doesn't match the AP/AR/Stock subledgers.

How about we start with a recommended list of integrity checks/maintenance to run at EOM?

I was thinking of running automatic repair followed by recalculation of transactions/stocks/accounts?

These functions are never performed and is contributing to some of the problems we are having I believe.

Back to the original problem, all that is happening is costing allocations are falling off posted invoices. I open the invoice and it still has a balance to be allocated.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 am

(1)

You are very likely wasting your time looking for a system issue when there is a 99% chance it is a user mistake. First you need to run account balance reports and find where the divergence is between the GL balance and the report. Once you know where the problem starts, run the End Period Wizard again for that month. Your accounts should then balance again. Of course, there could be multiple problems in multiple months, in which case you might want to spend a little time and re-run the End Period Wizard for each month of the year. If there is still a divergence, check your opening balance at the start of the year. You may need to adjust your opening balance in your GL to bring it back in line in a worst case scenario.

Once you're balanced again we recommend you place time based security restrictions on user security profiles, so users are limited in how far back in time they can change transactions. Also once a month has been finalised, you should go into the GL and lock the month so users don't change earlier transactions inadvertently.

(2)

What is a "costing allocation" ?-

by Guest » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:51 pm

It's not a user mistake, its a system issue. I can identify the issue and re-running the wizard does not fix the problem. Users are locked out of previous periods so that isn't the problem either.

I should have said transaction allocation. i.e. screen when you click on an invoice --> next and then the transaction (costing) allocation screen appears. Problem we are having is values are wiped from some transaction at EOM.

There are never any integrity checks done, so I want to start running these but IT don't want me to.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Running the integrity tools will at least report the issues to you. Fixing issues may involve deleting and re-entering the corrupted transactions. Ideally though, you want to establish why your environment is corrupting data. If you are running a smaller version of our system (Enterprise or Professional) you should be performing an automatic repair or maintenance operation at least weekly.