General Ledger Posting Error
  • JeffG
    General Ledger Posting Error

by JeffG » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 am

Hi All,

This week we started to see our server giving up the ghost, so I had a new windows 8.1 pro 64 bit system built.

Capital has been moved and all is running well except for two issues:

I am getting a General Ledger Posting Report error, telling me that the “???? – missing”, which seems to be the account code is being dropped when the post occurs.

I copied the entire company folder \\HQRA\Capshell\Capital\IMG over to \\CAPITAL\Capshell\Capital\IMG on the new system without the back up or restore process and it is functional. The backup process is giving other unrelated issues.

The other thing I have done is move several folders out of \\Capital\capshell\capital to \\capital\capshell (basically up one level on the directory structure) to avoid them being included in the back up. What I moved were folders like

Company - always empty
    Sample
    Other folders we created in house

I can’t have my staff moving across to the new system until this General Ledger posting issues is fixed. And on the other hand, if we continue to use the old system, there is a very high likely hood that it will fail and corrupt everything very soon.

I have tried running the program in various compatibility windows and the problem still occurs.

I have also done a Repair.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I have run a stress test which resulted in an error email being sent to Capital System support. I look forward to their reply. Cheers

UPDATE: Turns out the GL posting error occurred because the GL account being posted to was deleted. Why or how I have no idea. That's why we built a new server.

Using MS ACCESS and linking to the GL database, I found that account did actually exist along with all of the test transactions we did to find the error.

I recreated the GL Account and voila, no more posting error.

I am stumped!
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:59 am

You just deleted the account at some point, before you ever got around to posting to the GL. But as you figured out already, adding the missing account back into your chart of accounts fixes the issue.