INS to Edit and Invoice/Sales Order
  • JeffG
    INS to Edit and Invoice/Sales Order

by JeffG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 am

I have changed my invoices and sales orders to print Long Descriptions. No Problem and very handy. However, before I did this, we used to be able to press the INS key, and what ever comment we wrote would print on hardcopy. Very handy when we sell a lot of one-off MISC items. Because we could add a more detailed description to the invoice.

Now, because I have changed to print Long Descriptions, the INS key edits no longer print to hard copy. They are saved in the database, but do not translate to hardcopy.

Help Please - my staff are going stir crazy.

Thanks in advance
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 pm

What do you mean by 'Long Descriptions' ?

Do you mean you used to be able to write a block of comment text and when you convert a sales order to an invoice the comment text doesn't now carry across? That is, it used to "flow through" onto the final document but now doesn't?

If I am on the right track then the reason for this is because it's important how you link your comment text to your product items. If I am on the wrong track please specify more precisely exactly what you are trying to do.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm

You are correct. The block of comment text does not flow through to the invoice. However, it used to.

The change that was made was the ability to have Long Descriptions as per the following text found in a thread in this forum.

Update:
    This is the information provided in the forum in a previous post:

The field Stock->Title will only display the first 40 characters of a stock item's product description. If your product descriptions are typically longer than that, then in Visual Builder do the following:

1. Double-click on the product description field object.
    2. Next to "Name" replace Stock->Title with StockTitleLong
    3. Next to Display Length, enter the maximum line description you want to display, e.g., 80 or 100.
    3. Click on the Formula tab.
    4. Inside the editor window type:

Return StockDescription()

5. Press OK to save your changes.

Note that the function StockDescription() is new to CAPITAL 7.4 or above. Also, product descriptions can be of unlimited length, however you always have a limited amount of space in which to display such information on your forms. So some compromise for space reasons may still be required.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 pm

What you're describing might be required for a report but would serve no purpose on a transaction such an invoice or sales order. This is because the software automatically wraps the text for you as you type your transactions and this wrapped text, regardless of length, will print on your forms.

The only potential problem with this is that if you convert a sales order into an invoice, then the extra comment text may not carry across unless you've linked the text to the product item. You can see if text is linked by adding the "S" (status) column to your transactions.

For information on this consult a tutorial such as:

http://www.capitaloffice.com.au/trainin ... singV8.pdf

Then go the section "Product Codes & Comments" which explains the difference between free floating and linked comment text. Or in other words, *how* you type your comments will determine if they carry through or not.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Beauty - now we are getting somewhere. When using the INS key to link the text to our MISC item, the status column does not change. Upon clicking in the Status column a standard message of - The line item has no special status appears.

So clearly, using the INS key to link the text is not working.

I have tried using the INS key on several items and the linking does not occur at all with any item I tried.

I think the linked text is associated with the Title field in the database, but since we are not using the Title field, we are using a created field to accommodate Long Descriptions, then the linked text does not flow through to the Long Description Field. How can we link these two fields?

I just tried printing an invoice with linked text to a form that I know has the Title field and the linked text appears, so it is linking to Title, when I need it to link to Long Description.

I look forward to your next suggestion. Thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:15 pm

A link occurs if you press the INS key on a line that has a product code. A link won't occur if you press the INS key below the line that has a product code.

That is to say, you can't link comments to a product code unless you press the INS key over the line that contains the product code.

The way you present the information in Visual Builder has no effect on this behaviour.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:23 pm

We know this, we have been using CBO for almost a year now. What you have written in the last reply, does not address what I outlined.

The INS key links text to the Title field. We need to link text to a custom field called LongDescription.

How can we set up the link?

Thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:57 am

It's not possible to do that.