Links to PDF Documents in Screen Builder
    Links to PDF Documents in Screen Builder

by Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:23 pm

We have a comprehensive staff intranet site that is largely based around our Capital operating procedures.

I would like staff to be able to access all the Capital related PDF documents from within our Capital application rather than accessing our Intranet.

Is it possible to link and open PDF documents from within Capital’s Stock, Customer & Supplier screens, the PDF files will be stored in our Capital directory.

I then would ultimately like to run our entire intranet from within Capital using the screen builder menu to cover all our other procedure not Capital related such as Human Resources.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:12 am

Yes, opening PDF documents from within CAPITAL is relatively simple to do. The following script embedded in the appropriate place within your screens would load a document into Adobe Reader:

* Open a PDF file from within CAPITAL
    Shell("r:\quotes\my_quote.pdf")

More realistically, it would be more useful to place the name of the PDF file within a field in the screen, and pass this to Adobe. E.g.,

Shell("r:\documents\pdf_resources\" + Alltrim(SCRRead("PDFLink")) + ".PDF")

The above line assumes that your PDF's are stored on R drive, in the folder \documents\pdf_resources. It also assumes you have created a user field in your screen called PDFLink.

The next question to answer is how to 'fire' the above script. A good way to do this is to place an 'open' button picture on your screen and place the above script behind it. Then when users click on the button, the script is executed, and the PDF form is opened automatically.

More specific questions should be asked in the scripting area of this forum.