Export csv of customers
  • POS
    Export csv of customers

by POS » Mon May 29, 2017 6:25 pm

I need to export all customers to a csv file so it can be imported into MailChimp. I'm using v7 and have read some of the posts on here but can't get exactly what I need.

Can someone kindly post a step by step of how to get a csv export of all customers (name, email is really all I need) from Capital Office v7?
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Version 7 was last updated 10 years ago so is very old. In V8 you would just right click on the list and select Export, and then 'save as...' a CSV file.

But in Series 7 there is no such feature. So your only options would be to get a script written to write the data out, or create a report and specify an export as a CSV. Then when you run the report (which you can send to output "none" so as not to waste paper) a CSV file would also be created. This would not be too difficult if you ran the Report Wizard inside Visual Builder.
    Last edited by COBS Tech Support on Wed May 31, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • POS

by POS » Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 pm

COBS Tech Support wrote:Version 7 was last updated 10 years ago so is very old. In V8 you would just right click on the list and select Export, and then 'save as...' a CSV file.

But in Series 7 there is no such feature. So your only options would be to get a script written to write the data out, or create a report and specify an export as a CSV. Then when you run the report (which you can send to output "none" so as not to waste pater) a CSV file would also be created. This would not be too difficult if you ran the Report Wizard inside Visual Builder.

What sort of script would I need? I'm happy to utilise .net and data adapters, SQL, etc. What sort of database is it and what access is there outside of the actual software?

I realise V7 is very old however I'm working with a client who wants to continue with it.

Thanks for your help.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 pm

You don't special tools. The scripting language is built inside CAPITAL and is called CBS. The syntax is described in the VB.CHM help file.

Scripts reside in text files with the extension *.MAC
  • POS

by POS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info.