path settings
  • JeffG
    path settings

by JeffG » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 am

morning. Yesterday, for no apparent reason several of my staff started showing the following error.

cant find ctrlsys.dbf in <local path>

please check path settings in c:\users\user\CapitalOfficeV8\capwini.ini

but the local path in the <local path> above does not and has not ever existed in the capwin.ini file.

I have checked everything, all is where it supposed to be.

is only happening on 3 out 6 users on that server.

I have tried copying a good capwin.ini to the affected user profiles, done a database repair, several reboots - all to no avail.

We use RDT via Windows 10.

I suspect problem started after windows 10 forced update

any suggestions????

thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 am

This could be related to a Windows 'feature' where if you place an .INI file in a Windows system folder, i.e., C:\Windows, or modify such a file, it might then be copied automatically into the various user profile folders. This is done for various legacy reasons supporting compatibility with older style applications that very likely don't even run under Windows any more.

(If the CAPWIN.INI in your system folder had the wrong path information in it, the copy process would also cause users to be unable to load the software as you described.)

Search for all CAPWIN.INI files on your server and remove all copies except for the ones that should exist. If your CAPWIN.INI is placed in your user profile folder under virtual store this means you have old versions of CAPITAL found in your ..\CAPITAL folder. In that case you may wish to specify on your short-cut the location of the CAPWIN.INI and place this file in a neutral location not 'managed' by Windows. I.e.,

BMS.EXE /CONFIG=C:\CAPDATA\CAPWIN.INI

(And then move your CAPWIN.INI into a folder you create called C:\CAPDATA.)

If your configuration files already point to ..\Users\<user_name>\Documents\CapitalOfficeV8\CAPWIN.INI

-- then that is safer, except if your profiles get corrupted. Which shouldn't happen very often. But if it does happen, manually specifying a location for the CAPWIN.INI will resolve that issue as well.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks for that, this is what I have done over the weekend.

1. Removed all unnecessary copies of CAPWIN.INI
    2. Renamed all CAPWIN.INI files is each user profile to be something else
    3. Set up c:\capshell\capital\ini
    4. Copied CAPWIN.INI to the directory above
    5. Change the icon properties to C:\CapShell\CAPITAL\bms.Exe /CONFIG=C:\CAPSHELL\CAPITAL\INI\CAPWIN.INI
    6. Run a Database Repair
    7. Created a new user and user profile (also fails)

I now have 3 users who login ok. 2 user that continue to give the cant's find Ctrlsys.dbf path error message.

So I am a bit stumped. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and Regards
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 pm

For users where it doesn't work check your path statements, etc. You will have a typing mistake in there somewhere.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for that. However, The icon which launches Capital is the Public Desktop Folder. Therefore there is only one copy of the line:

C:\CapShell\CAPITAL\bms.Exe /CONFIG=C:\CAPSHELL\CAPITAL\INI\CAPWIN.INI

Because of this set up, there aren't any typos in the path statement.

I look forward to some further assistance.

Thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:43 am

Seek assistance from an IT professional if your software on your PC's does not recognise your path statements yet you believe the path statements (and other syntax) are correct.