Help Files
  • JeffG
    Help Files

by JeffG » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi - I am running Windows 8.1 pro on the server.
    For the passed several weeks, when I start typing the keyword to look up in the Index of the help file for Capital, the system goes off into an infinite loop. The only way to get out is to close capital.

I have tried copying new files over older ones, moving the location of the help files, have run the fixhlp.reg utility and nothing works. the other two tabs Contents & Search are ok, it is just the Index tab which plays up. And of coarse this is the tab is use the most.

The problem occurs whether I use RTD or am on the server directly.

I suspect Microsoft has done an update in windows 8.1 pro somewhere and capital does not like it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I can open all of the help files directly with the Microsoft HTML Help executable. The problem appears to be the way the control is passed from within Capital to the HTML Help Executable, or more precisely, the way the control is being received rather than being passed. Reason being this system worked fined for over a year and I'm sure that a windows update is the problem

Jeff
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:06 am

By default CAPITAL will copy your help files into your local documents folder so you're probably testing the wrong file(s). However, if you have a set of files that do work then it's likely the other set of files are corrupted. If you determine which set are corrupted you can replace them with the good set.

Keep in mind .CHM files are simply data files such as PDF's, .DOC's, etc. They are opened and managed by Windows, not by CAPITAL. If Windows is freezing up trying to open them then the most probable explanation is that the files are corrupted in some way. It will make no difference if you ask for those files to be open or if you ask indirectly through CAPITAL for those files to be opened.