Recalculation of Customer balances
  • Marg
    Recalculation of Customer balances

by Marg » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 am

Somewhere towards the end of January when we were having some issues with Capital, one of the things I was instructed to do was run repairs and recalculation of accounts.
    All of a sudden, a number of balances popped up into various accounts that date back to May 2012 – issues that had been well and truly resolved. I have no idea why this has happened but we are talking two financial years ago and it has made a mess of a number of accounts.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:16 am

What typically happens in a scenario such as this -

1. The database gets damaged and nobody runs a repair. Transactions may temporarily go "missing" when that occurs.

2. The database gets damaged and nobody does a recalc. The account doesn't balance now for various reasons.

If a user notices something suspicious about an account it's best to recalc it first. I.e.,bottom right hand corner on Transactions tab, press Recalculate button.

It's also a good idea to run a repair at least once a week so that the above function has a best chance of working correctly. (Unless you are running Corporate Edition, in which case repair processes should be unnecessary.)

If the system reports any problems, edit or if necessary, delete and re-enter problem transactions.

What sometimes happens instead, is that new entries are added to balance things. When the recalc is eventually done, the adjusting entries actually throw the account out. That's because the original problem wasn't actually fixed. The account was adjusted to make things balance, which will cause problems later.