GST calculation
  • Richard F
    GST calculation

by Richard F » Mon May 20, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm updating from v7 to v8.

noticed lots of errors when recalculated invoices on v8, mainly to do with gst.

tried it on the old v7 vs v8:

gst 10% is applied to both item and freight

old:
    item=80.75 (discounted from 95 -- 15%)
    freight= 5.85
    gst = 8.66
    total=95.26

new (v8)
    item=80.75(discounted from 95 -- 15%)
    freight=5.85
    gst=8.67
    total:95.27

is there a simple explanation?

Thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue May 21, 2013 8:28 am

It depends on how old your Series 7 software is but new features for GST were added to both Series 7/V8 over time. You shouldn't be recalculating invoices unless you believe they have been corrupted. If you're recalculating old invoices because you're assuming this is a "good" thing you may be creating problems where none previously existed.
  • Richard F

Hi further to this

by Richard F » Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi thanks for the info,

Don't worry I only did the Invoice recalc on a test system just to see what would happen.

Any way further to my GST question.

I think the difference is that V8 is rounding on line items (to 2 decimal places) rather than keeping it un-rounded until the end. Where as the V7 seemed to round at the end.

I looked up the rules for rounding gst on line items and it says you should keep it unrounded as much as possible until the end -- see below.
    --------------------------------------------------
    In taking the line item approach a business must record the GST on each taxable item or line of items to as many decimal points as their system allows. The total GST for the invoice will then be the sum of the individual line item amounts of GST. Where necessary to get to whole cents, this total will then be rounded: round down to the nearest whole cent below half a cent; round up to the nearest whole cent from half a cent.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    So what I am assuming Capital keeps the unrounding to 2 decimal places as if it kept it to 3 decimal places or more the result would be the same as the old system.

This is the calculation for 4 line items.

80.75 ---- gst v8---- 8.08
    80.75 ---- gst v8 --- 8.08
    80.75 ---- gst v8 --- 8.08
    80.75 ---- gst v8 ----8.08
    total gst v8 = 32.32 total gst v7 = 32.30

so its not that a big a deal unless you decide to recalculate v7 invoices in v8. Which has the potential of making life a bit difficult.

all the best.

PS this sort of reminds me of a great movie --- OFFICE SPACE.
    It is really funny and those who work in a large office will love it.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm

No, your statement is incorrect.

Please read:

http://www.ato.gov.au/taxprofessionals/ ... 5&st=&cy=0

We take the line item approach because otherwise GST becomes inconsistently calculated when reporting by product group sales, etc.

I.e., you have product group (A) and product group (B) = total sales.

If you run a report for product group (A) and a report for product group (B) and then add the GST together, you will end up with a different result than had you run the report for total sales.

The line item approach avoids these types of problems.

Also, GST calculations have not changed in CAPITAL since the '80's or possibly early 90's at the latest.
  • Richard F

Hi Thanks

by Richard F » Tue May 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Thanks for the info.

I am sure you are correct just letting you know what happens on Capital here.

used these versions
    V7.60j9 (2009) -- our current live version
    and
    V 8.3.0944 SP2 --- the version on my test computer (with data from our current system updated with the upgrade)

My example was the results of an identical invoice done on the two different versions. I can send you a screen shot if you want it.

I was just wondering if there was some setting somewhere that was different in the two versions that explained the difference.

Sorry if I'm being dumb.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 pm

The only situation I can think of is with really old sites, going back to the 80's or 90's, who were using Series 2 or possibly the first releases of Series 7. Series 7 was backward compatible with Series 2 but over time some of those 'ancient' behaviours stopped being recognized in V8, in order to improve consistency and quality. It's possible you may be running a configuration that is decades old, perhaps. That might explain why you see differences now when you do the change over.
  • Richard F

by Richard F » Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi ,

The earliest invoice I can see is august 1991.

So maybe we will have to just go with the flow.

Thanks