Why don't I see income transactions placed via Cashbook?
  • Kathy Palmer
    Why don't I see income transactions placed via Cashbook?

by Kathy Palmer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:16 pm

So far, I have been unable to see any income transactions entered directly through Cash Book to appear in the GST report.

Is this just a set up issue?

How can I ensure that when they run a GST report that it will report every transaction?
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:17 pm

All transactions assigned to your GST inputs account through the cashbook or anywhere else (except GL) appear on the Goods & Services Tax Report.

In the case of sales (invoicing related transactions) which are assigned to GST Sales/Payable, any entries put through the cash book or via a supplier invoice is not included in the report. As per the documentation for this report from the help file:

"Direct entries (postings) made to the GST Sales/Payables account through either the supplier entries or cash management systems do not appear on this report. All income that incurs GST must be placed in the system as an invoice or similar transaction."

Why? Basically because the cashbook is used to enable you to adjust the balance of this account. E.g., reduce the sales balance owed once the ATO has been paid. If transactions effecting this account appeared on the GST report as either liabilities or income, this would end up in the report being wrong. E.g., if I post $5000 to bring this account to zero because I've paid the ATO this amount, I can't have $5000 showing up on the GST report as a sale credit of $5000..