Visual builder and Vista problems
  • terry L
    Visual builder and Vista problems

by terry L » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Has any body had this error
    error reading file: \*.sty
    OS Error:2-FILE NOT FOUND

This happens when i try to edit any forms in Vb but only on a vista machine [/img]
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:22 am

What version of CAPITAL you are running?
  • terry L

by terry L » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01 am

CAPITAL Office
    (C) 1985 - 2007 Will Nitschke.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Version: 7.50  

Build: 10004-432c-SL0 (Database: 7.50t) 
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Check to see if you have a program file called XCAPOPEN.EXE inside your \CAPITAL folder. You would get exactly this message if that file was missing from your installation. This file should be installed automatically when you upgrade to CAPITAL 7.5 or CAPITAL 7.6.
  • terry L

by terry L » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 pm

COBS Tech Support wrote:Check to see if you have a program file called XCAPOPEN.EXE inside your \CAPITAL folder. You would get exactly this message if that file was missing from your installation. This file should be installed automatically when you upgrade to CAPITAL 7.5 or CAPITAL 7.6.

yes its there in the capital dir 1.12mb

funny thing is capital works fine open Vb to edit a form sometimes it works but second time always comes up in error.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 am

While we can't replicate the problem you describe we are wondering if it might in some way be security related.

Are you running the software across a LAN connection? If you install the software onto your local C: drive does it work?

Does temporarily turning off UAC make any difference?

(To turn off UAC, launch MSCONFIG, select Tools tab, and launch "Disable UAC".)
  • terry L

by terry L » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:10 am

COBS Tech Support wrote:While we can't replicate the problem you describe we are wondering if it might in some way be security related.

Are you running the software across a LAN connection? If you install the software onto your local C: drive does it work?

Does temporarily turning off UAC make any difference?

(To turn off UAC, launch MSCONFIG, select Tools tab, and launch "Disable UAC".)

This is not on the Lan its local machine its my development machine for checking out updates and building reports. UAE is OFF (who can live with that being on :) )

Its was actually a fresh install of Vista ultimate the problem i think seems to have happened since Vista SP1 because i was using it before hand and no problems. but remember SP1 being installed about 2 weeks ago. I have been using it for a report we have been developing, i thought it was the report at first but then checked and could not open any other forms or report.

The same report works on our normal system(server 2003 and XP pro machines) fine as i finished it off on there.

I would like to get to the bottom off this maybe its another Vista SP1 bug,
    as most of the laptops we are buying now have vista on.

I will try and run the 7.5 upgrade on the capital dir again and see if that fix's it.

By the way the machine runs faultless other wise, mail, internet, RDC, all the normal stuff. and runs capital all ok except for the above problems.

Thanks
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:22 am

We've just re-tested Vista Ultimate with SP1 and it works fine.

We also re-tested Vista Business without SP1 and it works fine too.

I don't think it's Vista specific. It may be related to some conflict or clash on your laptop. Does temporarily turning off any firewall software you may have make a difference? Or rebooting in safe mode? (In case an application launched during start-up may be causing an issue.)
  • terry L

by terry L » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:46 am

COBS Tech Support wrote:We've just re-tested Vista Ultimate with SP1 and it works fine.

We also re-tested Vista Business without SP1 and it works fine too.

I don't think it's Vista specific. It may be related to some conflict or clash on your laptop. Does temporarily turning off any firewall software you may have make a difference? Or rebooting in safe mode? (In case an application launched during start-up may be causing an issue.)

Damn can't blame bill for that one then :) ok i will try a fresh reload of capital and see if that fix's it.
  • Woody

by Woody » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:13 am

I also use a Vista Note book for testing and development and had a similar problem with VB reports access. It turned out to be my file name for the Capital Directory. We currently have a mixture of Corporate and Enterprise sites and I am testing Corporate 7.6 I had my file name as Capital7.6 and VB reports could not be ran or edited. I renamed the folder to Capital and all was fine. Check your file name and see if that fixes the problem.
  • terry L

by terry L » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:27 am

Ok fresh upgrade from the 7.5 site and that went through no problems.

Why i think i never noticed it before is that when i first open a form it will open first time, second time it will not open and comes up with that error.

I can find the sty sheets no problems click on the name but when i open it says

So this only happens second time around when opening a form.

checked i have full edit modify rights in security settings.
    i'm going to try it on a vista work station and see what that comes up with.

Thanks woody for your input where you getting the same error message or it could not find the working Dir for your forms.
  • Woody

by Woody » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:03 am

I got the exact same error

I get the same error in XP as well if the Capital directory file name has a full stop in the name. Eg Capital7.6