How to record injection of funds by owner
  • the Blue Mage

by the Blue Mage » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm

Hello
    First let me say this looks like a fantastic product.
    Full marks to Capital Office for supporting small business.
    I have recently started a new business and am struggling a little recording the financial side of things.
    One thing I can't seem to find in the manual is how to record an injection of funds into the business by the owner.
    I would really appreciate someone pointing out how this can be done.

Many thanks from a slightly embarrassed newbie :oops:
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:26 pm

By injection of funds do you mean cash? Or other assets such as retained earnings?

If you mean cash, the simplest thing to do is to go into the cash manager, and either edit your bank account record and fill in the Opening Balance, or just enter a transaction with the opening balance, one month prior to the period in which you will start recording your business transactions.

To access the opening balance field, select Section|Cash Manager from the main menu, click on the Settings tab button and fill in the applicable amount in the Opening Balance field.
  • the Blue Mage

by the Blue Mage » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:52 pm

I agree that method will work well before the business is established. How do I record a cash investment after transaction recording has commenced?
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Enter the amount in the applicable bank account inside the cash manager. When prompted for an account code to balance the entry against, select an appropriate equity account.

You may need to ask your accountant which general ledger code to use, as he may want the entry to appear a certain way. If the general ledger code doesn't exist, you may need to add it to your system first.