Recording and monitoring of courier consignments
  • Paul Turvey
    Recording and monitoring of courier consignments

by Paul Turvey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Most of our deliveries to customers are by parcel courier and we use a number of different couriers to provide the different services we need. Briefly, we want to be able to scan a courier's barcoded Con note number to record it, together with date and time, against each invoice at the time of despatch (NB invoices already printed prior to picking), then: i). - print a listing of invoice numbers and associated customers and barcoded Con note numbers, to use as a run sheet for each courier pickup; and ii). - be able to view this information on the computer together with other invoice details when answering customer inquiries and tracking deliveries. Could you advise on the following:

2a. I have not been able to find existing database fields to use for recording a courier's Con note number, despatch date and time against an invoice. Are there database fields available for this that I have not yet seen, eg in Warehouse Manager or elsewhere? Or would we need to add new fields to the database for this?

2b. Is the programming already available to input, print and view this information, eg in Warehouse Manager or elsewhere? Or would we need to get some custom programming?

2c. I note from your web site that one of the points listed for Warehouse Manager V8 is ability to print customisable shipping labels, delivery dockets, courier dockets, etc. Does this include printing of courier-specific Con notes including barcodes for Con note numbers? Also, does this use Visual Builder, or some other tool?
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Please read the help topic: "Linking Card Files to Transactions & Tasks"

This will explain how to create a card file (which can contain almost any field information you want), that can be set-up to appear when saving transactions. You can then build reports around the contents of this card file.

>
    2b. Is the programming already available to input, print and view this information, eg in Warehouse Manager or elsewhere? Or would we need to get some custom programming?
    <

Doing it via the card file approach should be straightforward, but it depends on the fine details of what you want to achieve. There are some sophisticated 3rd party courier tracking options available as "plug ins" for CAPITAL, but possibly those solutions are more sophisticated than what you need at present.

Basic things such as automatically linking the card file record to your invoice, inserting the date and time, etc., are simple to setup and don't require any scripting or 'programming' skills. Again, however, you may have something beyond the basics that is required, that would require getting a more technical person involved in helping you.

>
    2c. I note from your web site that one of the points listed for Warehouse Manager V8 is ability to print customisable shipping labels, delivery dockets, courier dockets, etc. Does this include printing of courier-specific Con notes including barcodes for Con note numbers? Also, does this use Visual Builder, or some other tool?
    <

You can use Warehouse Manager to do that, but you can also do it without Warehouse Manager. Visual Builder is used for form design. It can print your con note numbers and bar codes where you want them to appear. Once the form is designed using VB, it can be printed from CAPITAL Office after saving an invoice, or from the Warehouse Manager or possibly from some other area of the system.