Purchase Order Numbers
  • Kathy Palmer
    Purchase Order Numbers

by Kathy Palmer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:52 pm

My client is using two ranges of numbers at the moment:

One is prefixed with PO for the system generated ones and one is prefixed with MO for the manual ones entered from the purchase order books. My question is, is it possible to automatically run these two ranges of numbers for purchase orders?

Process:

The normal process will be the use of the system generated purchase orders only, ie: PO's but at the moment they are also entering manual ones which is resetting the transaction range every time they do. I've looked through help (yep! - did go there first this time!) but wonder can we "lock" one range in, so that it always remains on that range. That way if they do have to put in a MO prefixed one, it wont reset things.

Eventually the use of the MO range will be negligible...

Many thanks for your help
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:57 pm

You can't "lock" separate transaction sequences for purchase orders (POs) in CAPITAL. However, it's easy to run more than one sequence so long as you have some awareness of what you're doing. If the first prefix is "PO" then just type "PO" in the transaction number field of the transaction and press tab and the next available PO prefixed number will be issued. If you type "MO" the next available MO number will automatically be found and issued. However, this does require users to check which number the system issues them and change it if it is the wrong series.

A quick way to reset a transaction number is to:

1. Return to the main menu

2. Open a purchase order (or any transaction for that matter)

3. Enter the next transaction number you want to set the system to

4. Leave the purchase order (or your transaction) and return to the main menu.
  • Kathy Palmer

by Kathy Palmer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:00 pm

Can I use control sets to handle this?
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:03 pm

You could possibly use control sets to automate the issue but you may be using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Control sets can be tied to either a physical location (e.g., a particular computer) or a department code. So if you indicate that you are a "Department A" user you could get one set of transaction numbers for purchase orders that would be distinct from those of "Department B". This approach may not be workable in your particular context however.