System doesn't remember user settings
  • Ashley
    System doesn't remember user settings

by Ashley » Tue May 16, 2006 4:22 pm

We have our 2 front counter work stations that keep coming up with the Capital welcome screen Tick the box and you are not supposed to see it again.

I always comes back (all other workstations it hasn’t come back), This is a little annoying but not a major problem, but may be linked to our major problem,

we cannot get the resized stock search box in invoicing to save. We can resize but each time we go back out of the search screen and back it is at it’s original small size.

I have changed both to log on with a password as I thought being default log on may be the problem.

I have also added both to administrator group on the network thinking that may be the problem.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as it is frustrating & time consuming.

Even if there is a way to increase the default size of that search screen.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue May 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Not being familar with your network enviroment it's not possible for us to be too specific. However, we may be able to point you in the right direction. A skilled IT person should be able to hunt down the reason why this is happening.

Basically local settings in CAPITAL are stored in 3 different .INI files, depending on what the setting is:

CAPWIN.INI, which sits in either the \Windows folder of your local computer, or a user profile folder, depending on how Windows and your network is set up and which operating system version you are running.

Then there is the global file CAPSYS.INI which is found in your \CAPITAL folder. (This file may or may not exist in your particular environment.)

Then there are user specific files that all begin UserNNNN.INI where NNNN starts at 0000 and goes up to 9999.

One or more or all of these files are set to "read only" so CAPITAL cannot change these files. Or, the operating system has locked these files down so that CAPITAL cannot change their contents. This could be a security setting or setup issue of some kind. In larger companies the whole Windows environment for users is 'locked down' so that users can't change their desktop settings, or any of their local configuration settings, to achieve standardisation across the organisation. That is an admirable goal, but setting up the Windows environment in this way disables a lot of useful functionality that users want, such as the ability to save their preferred settings.
  • Ashley

by Ashley » Tue May 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks for the hints,

I logged on to the network on those workstations as administrator and made the changes.

Logged back on as usual user and all was still saved ok

Thanks again. Makes life easier for all at the front counter.