Screen Control Wishes
  • Neil C
    Screen Control Wishes

by Neil C » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:28 am

I have a few wishes about the controls available from the screen builder.

* It'd be nice to be able to insert a control that did not have to be linked to a field in a database, so that it can be populated through scripting, but not stored.

* Radio buttons which mask a numeric field would be cool too, i've set this one up by having a few images whose graphic is chosen depending on what a field contains, and can change the field's value when they're clicked.
  • Neil C

by Neil C » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:32 am

I got another one!
    Check boxes never launch a change of value call in the screen script (mode 9 from memory). You can work around this by capturing the click with an image over the top of the check box which handles everything, but it's messy really, esp. when all the other contols throw a change call.

On that note an onclick style would be even better, like if you could handle the check box the same way as a picture click rather than a change of focus.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:05 am

We are looking at adding several enhancements to the Screen Builder in the upcoming CAPITAL V8 release. These include new control types and control events.
  • Neil C

by Neil C » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:13 am

On the topic of screen controls it'd be nice if with a mode 9 on a screen screen script we could return false and have the change cancelled straight away rather than needing to wait till the record is saved to do data checking.

Also the cancel button for the open and close options in the screen builder screen don't act as they should; they effictively act like a discard changes button, which has caused me grief a couple of times before now.

Is the the kind of stuff i should be posting here, or do you prefer more general 'wishes'. I know these are kind nitpicky but, in my opinion, this is stuff that would be useful.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Our software follows the recommended design model as advised by Microsoft at the time. Programmer's expectations have changed to some degree since then, especially with most internet style applications providing actions on such events as listbox changes, etc. But so long as we don't break backward compatibility it shouldn't hurt to offer more events (where it is worthwhile to do so).

The open/close options of Screen Builder follow the same procedure, as far as we are aware, as if you were using Microsoft Office. Cancelling a Word document or cancelling changes in the Screen Builder present similar prompts and consequences. It seems sensible to us to follow conventions that most users would be familiar with.

You're welcome to post any comments you wish, although when we get into 'nitpick' type feedback, then of course the best approach is to some degree a matter of opinion.