How To Allow Multi Users in Windows 8.1
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:28 am

Wow, this was a problem and very frustrating. I offer this information without warranty, but this is how I got Windows 8.1 Pro to allow muli user logging so that multi users could access Capital simultaneously.

1. Windows 8 fix is not the same as Windows 8.1. The Windows 8.1 update, killed the Windows 8 fix.
    2. Obtain and run the Windows 8.1 Terminal Services Patch Utility. This amends the registry, but installs a broken termsrv.dll driver.
    3. Hunt the internet until you find a patched Termsrv.dll for windows 8.1 specifically. Should be 995kb.
    4. Basically replace the \windows\system32 driver with the patched 8.1 driver.
    5. Reboot.

To avoid any further frustration from windows automatic updates (and cause staff downtime), I scheduled a batch file to copy the driver on a daily basis.

Hope this can save someone the many hours I lost looking for a solution.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 am

There is something unusual about your environment as multi-user access is a standard capability across all versions of Windows from Windows 3 up until today's versions. There is nothing you should normally need to "fix" if you're running Windows 8 or 8.1.
  • JeffG

by JeffG » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks for that, perhaps I did not convey myself appropriately. I appologise. I agree , multi user logon has always been around, what I am talking about here is Multi Users logged on at the same time, without booting another user off. This is a common requirement, but is not part of the Windows Standard, Home or Professional versions. Thanks