Automatic Backup
  • JeffG
    Automatic Backup

by JeffG » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I've just had a heart attack. I have capital doing an automatic backup everyday in unattended mode. The system is set to rename the file when a backup file is found. However, when the renaming system got to .Z99, the automatic backup appears to have stopped. So the system has not backed up for several months (my heart attach). What is the best coarse of action to stop this from occurring again and ensure that the daily backup continue? Thanks

UPDATE: I got to the bottom of this. Server started exhibiting errors and files started disappearing. In this case, the batch file I created simply disappeared, so the scheduler had nothing to run.
    Last edited by JeffG on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 am

Back-ups don't stop. But after 100 back-ups in the same file location, it will start cycling over the last back-up file. If you want to keep a copy of every back-up you've ever made it's probably a good idea not to keep them all on the same drive. If the back-up drive fails, and all drives will eventually fail, you've lost your entire archive of back-ups.