Windows XP and Windows 98 (database driver?)
  • Richard F
    Windows XP and Windows 98 (database driver?)

by Richard F » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:12 am

We have always used Windows 98 with no problems. Recently I replaced two computers, the new ones having WindowsXP operating systems.

When using capital to create invoices etc on the XP machines I sometimes get messages like the network is busy and then the invoice becomes corrupted.

We are using the enterprise addition and the data is stored on a Win98 machine.

I have noticed that XP uses a different database driver (Visual Fox Pro data base driver) to access foxpro dbs. Could this be the problem. Does the VFP driver need to be loaded onto the windows 98 machine to let the XP machine access and modify the data successfully.

Thanks for your help.
  • COBS Tech Support

by COBS Tech Support » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 am

We no longer support Windows 98 with CAPITAL and haven't done so for several years now, however at the time of the launch of Windows XP there was technical information provided by various sources external to us, that warned against using Windows 98 as a 'server' when Windows XP systems were accessing such a 'server' as clients. We would suggest you upgrade your Windows 98 'server' to Windows XP also.

(The drivers you mention have nothing at all to do with the operation of our software.)